Salem has a history of dedicated men and women following God’s call and sharing the love of Christ in the East Lincoln community. Salem Methodist Episcopal Church first appears on official records of the Lincoln Circuit in 1828 but is believed to have existed earlier.
From its humble beginnings as part of a multi-church charge, in a building heated by pot-bellied stoves and cooled with hand-held fans advertising local funeral homes, Salem has faithfully followed God through study, worship, prayer, witness and service.
Over the years, the Methodist Church and the world have changed and Salem has responded with an eagerness to reach out and meet the needs of God’s children everywhere.
In the last decade, Salem has witnessed its community grow and change from rural to suburban. Salem has responded to this growth with a variety of ministries. An Afterschool ministry, preschool and school age camps, involvement in local sport organizations, the addition of a playground and wildlife sanctuary, and more have been part of its response to meeting the various spiritual and other needs of those in the East Lincoln Community.
For a more detailed history of this congregation, please visit the church library for a copy of “The History of Salem United Methodist Church.”